Monday, July 6, 2009

Tornado's & Storm Chasing


I have always loved studying the weather and dreamed of chasing tornadoes. However I never had the opportunity to go to college, or become a meteorologist. But in some ways I have felt like a storm chaser just by the places where I have lived.
For instance I lived in Xenia, Ohio on April 3, 1974 when a monstrous F-5 super tornado hit. Even today you will still here about it every spring on the Weather Channel. Experts have estimated the wind speeds exceeding 300 miles per hour. It was a experience seeing it form in the sky. Early in the stage of developing I was able to see three funnel clouds joining together just like a mother would be putting her arms around and reaching out for her children this happen several times before finally becoming one huge tornado then touching down.
While living in Ohio, I got to see the huge blizzard in 1978, I also saw the bone chilling record of30 degrees below zero in 1980.
There was even a earthquake in July 1980.
What experiences!My family and I moved to Florida in 2004 just prior to the 4 hurricane's that struck setting a record. I have found that by watching the Weather Channel I have been able to follow and prepare for each storm, which seem to last all summer that year.
Since 2006-2009 Sarasota Florida has been in a Drought by my figures we are 44 inches behind.
I would like to fulfill my dreams some day and go to the mid-west and chase tornadoes, maybe someday it well happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment